1/1/09

Good guys vs. Bad guys

I came across a really good read this morning as I browsed through my Wired magazine. The article itself is pretty long, and filled with the kind of stuff that keeps a security guy awake at night. I read the article and proceeded to take my first "strive to lose some weight for New Years" walk, with the story fresh in my mind and I began to mix pieces of the article around to determine what was eating at me, and what I wanted to get out of reading the story. Ultimately I thought about how the guy in the article, Max Butler started out making $100/hr helping companies secure their networks.

I've always viewed computer security along the same lines as a serial killer profiler. In order to be a hacker, you ultimately have to think like a hacker. This includes using the same tools and methodologies of hacking. Now I'm not saying that FBI profilers go around killing people, but you really have to climb into the mind of a criminal to understand how and why they do what they do.

Ever since I stumbled on fraud prevention I knew that helping protect people is what I wanted to do. So I am drawn to these articles that make you toss and turn at night wondering if your finances are safe. Here we have an example of a person who found computer security interesting, but moved over to the dark side. The article dives a bit into the psychology of the guy, so maybe something about the environment that he was raised in caused him to bridge the gap between security and felony.

While walking I visualized my path along side Max Butler's path. I could see two parallel roads that we both walk. Making sure things are safe and secure. As I approach the white picket fence of completion, there's no urge to jump over the roadblock and break into the house at the end of the road. The good guys and bad guys follow the same path, but the major difference is that the good guys are content with the destination and results. Whereas with the bad guys there's always more to push, further to go.

Does jail time really work as a deterrent from fraud? It's hard to say. I've had many bad days at work where I've thought that the total lack of responsibilities in jail would seem like a vacation. Granted it's not the best environment, I'd stick out like a sore thumb, and I'm sure the food is terrible. But for us people who are constantly on alert and questioning other people's motives and actions, breaking away for a chunk of years would feel like a vacation. Once again to use the serial killer metaphor again, deep down inside there's a need to be caught and punished for their actions.

I enjoyed the article and it was fun to work it around in my mind a bit to help me understand the bad guy vs. good guy scene. Interestingly enough, the more I learn the better I can help others protect themselves. It's a crazy world we live in.

Have a happy and fraud-free New Year, with the economy the way it is cyber crime is going to reach record highs. It's all about making sure you aren't a low hanging fruit.

No comments: