3/23/09

Fake text messages

I've you've begun to start understanding the world of the smartphone, some of its features may often times go overlooked depending on what type of a phone user you are. These days phones come equipped with SMS, which stands for Short Message Service. Otherwise known as "texting" or often times talked about as text messages. Since I personally own an iPhone, it's not often I'll find myself using SMS. It's just one of those features I'm not that in to, since I can usually communicate with my friends via Instant Messaging. So I was surprised that I received a cryptic message from AT&T about account information.

I found out later that the text was a scam to try and get people to respond and provide personal information. Whenever you get something out of the ordinary, never go with your first impulse just to respond and provide more info. Instead contact your cell phone carrier directly and question them on it. It is important that you use a number off of your billing statements, and not any contact information provided in the message itself. There is just no telling whether the information is accurate.

No comments: